Monday, July 21, 2008

Be careful what you email

So I have a few people that I know that need to be careful with the forward/reply all buttons on their emails (among other typical email mistakes). It has caused not only small problems on several occasions, but has even been cause for people to have their offices packed in anticipation of the empty box crew showing up at their door with HR.

Now really, none have ever been on that scale, but definitely I have had more than one "oh crap, did he really just forward that to ........." or "they didn't hit reply all with so and so still on the list did they?" It is a strange mix of dread and humor at the same time, more humor after you have gone down the list and realized it is not your ass on the line somewhere in the ongoing conversation.

I always try to be very careful what I put into emails and try to keep my thoughts as straightforward as I can, especially if the body of the email contains the names of any higher ups at my company in them anywhere, but every so often I'm sure everyone has a slip-this is just a caution...be careful what you email, and make sure your friends and co-workers do the same.

scribbler

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone who has done the accidental "Reply All" I can not agree more!